Thursday 17 August 2017

Breathing words.

In a world full of chaos, confusion and uncertainty, there is nothing like the sharp, definitive blackness of comic sans to bring me into focus (other fonts are available ;) ).  I have always had a soft spot for words, vocabulary and expression via the written word but that soft spot has slowly and uncontrollably snowballed into a need, a desire, a passion!

Whenever I sit and think about where my life is heading - and at the tender age of 34 I still haven't discovered where that is - I become so overwhelmed with words and thoughts that it's impossible for me to ignore or dismiss.  They are there, like it or not, bubbling over in my brain, breeding and multiplying like the proverbial rabbit, my hand subconsciously itching to expel them onto whatever medium is available.  It's a need!  Not a choice but a tsunami of vocabulary spilling forth onto paper or screen or a napkin I have to hand.  And as much as I enjoy these creative eruptions, it's the profound sense of peace, clarity and organisation that follows which truly shows me that this passion is a gift, a natural birth right, a DNA sourced gene that is a building block of who, and what, I am.

Isaac Asimov has been quoted as saying, "Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers", and I agree with this wholeheartedly, as well as Wordsworth's quote instructing, "Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart".  Is there any truer concept for a writer than that their writing is borne of an unstoppable binding of heart, mind and soul that simply has to be expelled?

And how do I hone this passion?  How can I perfect and indulge and feed this God-given part of me?  By consuming the very thing I want to produce.  Surrounding myself with the work of those who learned before me and those that learn alongside me. By absorbing the written word in as many forms as possible and by letting the passion of others always be a fuel to my fire. I just have to remember to always stoke the flames.  :)

"Throughout human history, our greatest leaders and thinkers have used the power of words to transform our emotions, to enlist us in their causes, and to shape the course of destiny. Words can not only create emotions, they create actions. And from our actions flow the results of our lives".

Tony Robbins

Is there any worthier passion, than a passion with the power to change the world?


No comments:

Post a Comment